The Educational Psychology and Guidance Department at Agora Madrid International School is responsible for ensuring that each student receives the individual help and guidance that they need to succeed academically, socially and personally.
The Educational Psychology Department supports the work of teaching staff in order to coordinate and integrate every student’s progress.
Problems with the learning process or complex social or family situations can all affect a child’s anxiety levels or their capacity to succeed, and it is very common for children to need professional support in order to help them to address any issues and move forward.
Main functions of the Educational Psychology Department:
– Psychopedagogical evaluation
- Early detection of learning difficulties.
- Individual assessment of academic development and personal abilities.
- Collective evaluation to determine comparative learning levels.
– Psychopedagogical intervention and orientation:
- Literacy groups: to encourage effective reading, enrich vocabulary and improve written expression.
- Spelling improvement programme: encouraging efficient spelling correction through improving visual memory.
- Intervention with learning difficulties: assistance with specific difficulties in reading, writing, concentration, etc.
- Speech Therapy: for students from 4 years old who experience difficulties with articulation. Small groups of 3-4 students grouped according to the level of difficulty they are experiencing at the time. Aims to enhance communication skills and to improve articulation and semantic and morphosyntactic skills.
- Learning and study techniques: classes for secondary students designed to promote effective learning.
- Careers advice: helping secondary students to make appropriate choices for life after school.
– Tutorials & Meetings:
- Individual meetings with parents and teachers: to ensure a coordinated approach to guiding students’ academic and personal progress.
- Establishing links with other professionals: psychologists, speech therapists, doctors, private tutors, etc … in order to coordinate individual student progress.
- Student tutorials: students can talk to our highly-trained Educational Psychologists in order to help them to deal with any academic, social or personal issues that they may be facing.
– Advice, forums and discussions for parents and teachers on learning difficulties, pastoral, personal and social well-being.